Projects are the foundation of Rentman. Within your projects, you plan your equipment, schedule your crew, and send out a quotation. This guide covers the all the basic steps of setting up a project, planning your crew, and sending out a quotation.
Step 1 - Create a project
Tip: Instead of creating a blank project every time, you can create and use project templates to set up new projects more quickly.
- Go to the Projects module
- Click on the + Add button.
- Click on blank project, or choose a project template and click Select.
- Enter a name, client and location for your project.
- Set the planning period.
This is the duration you want to reserve your equipment for.
- Set a usage period.
This is the duration to charge your customer for renting your equipment.
- Save by clicking on and choosing Save without closing. Alternatively, you may use Alt + S.
Note: Setting the right planning period and usage period is important. These time periods will be used for planning your equipment and crew. You can also add your own time periods, such as Event setup or First event day.
Step 2 - Add equipment to your project
Tip: You might want to import your own equipment in Rentman, before adding equipment to your project. If not, you can continue working with the sample database in Rentman for now.
- Go to the Equipment tab of your project.
This provides an overview of your equipment database items.
- Add a new equipment group. Type in a name and click +, or click and choose Equipment group.
- Select your equipment group in the list.
- In the left column, double-click on an equipment item to add it to your group.
- You can change the quantity by double-clicking the number in the Quantity column.
Note: Rentman automatically tracks the availability of your equipment. If you plan more items than you have in stock, the equipment item will turn red. See the image below for an example.
Step 3 - Add crew and transport functions
Note: Functions add jobs to your project. You will plan (schedule) specific employees or vehicles on those functions at a later stage. Scheduling will be covered in the following Quick Start guides.
- Go to the Crew and transport tab in your project.
- Add a new function group by clicking and choosing Function group.
- Enter a name, and click on the Edit button.
- Choose Time known.
- Select from time schedule in both columns.
- In the Use from column, choose a usage period and select Start time.
- In the Use until column, choose a usage period and select End time.
- Click Save twice. Your function group is now added to the list.
- Select your function group.
- In the left column, double-click on the functions that you want to add to your group.
Tip: You may also create your own crew and transport functions, instead of the default ones. Please read this article for more information.
Step 4 - Create and send out a quotation
Note: Rentman keeps an overview of the costs and revenue of your project. You can add additional costs to this overview or apply discounts if you desire.
Tip: Rentman features pre-built templates for your quotations and other documents in over twenty different languages. You may also create and edit your own templates, read more about this in our dedicated article.
- Go to the Financial tab of your project.
This provides a financial overview of your project.
- Click on Print slip and choose Create quotation.
- Adjust the layout to your liking. In the right column, you may select a document template and change other settings such as your company logo and letterhead.
- Click on Regenerate.
- Click on Email to send the quotation to a customer.
Tip: You can choose to let your clients digitally sign the quotation. When they have signed your quotation, the project status will automatically be set to Confirmed. Read more about digital payments in this article.
Scheduling crew and transport